FREE – SCILS Training resource for Care Providers
We are pleased to announce that the Design & Learning centre (KCC) has Fully Funded a Kent wide subscription to the Scils training site. This enables all Statutory, private and voluntary organisations within Kent access to the Learning Materials and Facilities FREE OF CHARGE.
The site has over 200 individual short courses, materials for trainers to download classroom sessions, managers discussion board, news page and more!
Please use this number for registration onto the site.
490KECC to set up your log-on
Please use this guide for information on what is available and how to utilise the site. There is also a list of available training resources. More resources are added each week
There are three options for people to register on the website:
- Go to scils.co.uk and click on Register. A User Guide is available at http://www.scils.co.uk/index.php?task=userguide.
- Anyone already registered should login and click on Your Status which is situated on the right-hand side of the blue bar than runs underneath the main green menu. They will then be prompted to enter the Registration Number. If this prompt does not appear, then click on ‘Your Status’.
- The manager can register using method 1 or 2 and they can then register their staff. This will also create the link between the manager and the staff in the Personal Development Plan facility. Once registered you should login and click on Personal Development Plan. Then click on Manager Tasks at which point you will be prompted to register “learners”. When registering learners, the manager does not need to enter the registration number, and the email address is optional. Scils will generate a username and password for the new learner which will be emailed to the manager/trainer who registered them. User guides for the PDP are available in the Overview Screen (the link is at the top of the PDP).
Please See further information that will allow you to utilise the site for you and your teams.
FREE – Moving and Handling Training
The aim of this course is to increase the trainer’s/carer’s confidence in completing single carer handling tasks.
Learning Outcomes, following this course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the benefits of single carer handling for the care homes and the resident.
- Have a clear understanding of employer and employee legal responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work etc act (1974)
- Have a clear understanding of the Manual Handling Operation Regulations (1992) and their responsibilities to complete a risk assessment and a thorough handling plan for all care tasks.
- Gain confidence in practical handling skills completing single carer handling tasks.
- Have an increased knowledge of the possible handling solutions available.
Latest available dates:
Please complete booking form and return to email address below with heading “Moving and Handling Training”
|5th June 2019
|13th June 2019
|8th July 2019
|16th July 2019
|9th Sept 2019
|12th Sept 2019
|3rd October 2019
|15th Oct 2019
|28th Oct 2019
|29th October 2019
|20th November 2019
|21st November 2019
|9th Dec 2019
|10th Dec 2019
Please return form to [email protected]
Training course for Carers of People with Personality Disorder and Intellectual Disability
This is a training course for professionals who work with people with a learning disability who also have a personality disorder; or relationship and emotion regulation difficulties related to a history of childhood abuse or other trauma.
People with these traits often present with risky behaviour, extreme emotions, and have significant problems in their relationships with other people. In addition, their learning disability means that they are often unable to communicate their distress in a safe way.
- To learn about psychological processes in order to understand why some of the difficulties arise when working with this client group.
- Opportunities for reflection and discussion about some of the difficult experiences with the clients you work with.
- To generate some ideas for practical strategies when working with clients.
- To hopefully help reduce the risk of placement breakdown.
This course is often run for key workers / home managers. However we are inviting higher management to attend this course please. We strongly recommend 3-4 people attend from each organisation.
Total number of participants: 12
The course comprises three 2 hour sessions on a weekly basis.
commit to attending all three sessions.
New Group Rm, The Beacon, Manston Rd, Ramsgate, CT12 6NT
£90 per person for the full course
Session 1: Tuesday 18th
June 1.30pm – 3.30pm
Session 2: Tuesday 25th
June 1.30pm – 3.30pm
Session 3: Tuesday 2nd
June 1.30pm – 3.30pm
For find out more please contact:
Email: [email protected]
or [email protected]
Telephone: MHLD TDD on 01843 855200
Application forms available on request
FREE e-book on Quality Assurance by a CQC Inspector
Lesley Chapman has produced a free e-book
on the subject of quality assurance (QA) in the residential and home care sector. The book is a comprehensive introduction to QA and how it relates to the work of the Care Quality Commission (CQC). It is based on Lesley’s own experiences of being a CQC inspector and, more recently, supporting a range of providers and service managers on a consultancy basis. The book can be read on-line or downloaded in pdf format.
OU has a free on-line course
– Level 2 Facilitating Learning in Practice The course explores the principles and best practices underpinning mentorship. The authors draw on their experience in nursing to help learners develop knowledge, understanding and skills of mentorship practice that can be applied to many workplace environments. After completing this course learners will be able to:
Mind Ed E-Learning
MindEd is a free educational resource on children
and young people’s mental health for all adults
- identify relevant strategies to help them to apply tools and techniques of mentorship in practice
- review their workplace environment to identify opportunities and recognise constraints that may influence the provision of effective mentorship
- develop a reflective approach, which can be utilised in their workplace through the identification of their learning needs and development of a personal development plan
- reflect on how they would use this learning to be an effective mentor.
MindEd has e-learning applicable across the health, social care, education, criminal justice and community settings. It is aimed at anyone from beginner through to specialist.
Quality training is key to ensuring a competent and qualified workforce.
The following 2 links will be helpful for Registered Managers when looking for quality assured training providers.
Skills for Care
finds and badges learning providers who can show high-quality learning and development to the social care sector. You can search their endorsed providers here; https://www.skillsforcare.org.uk/Learning-development/Choosing-the-right-learning/Finding-a-learning-provider.aspx
The Skills for Health
Quality Mark endorses superior delivery of learning and development in the health sector.
This link takes you to a list of Quality Mark providers offering training courses for health and care providers.
FREE HR Session By Peninsula for Care Providers
Due to high demand for the HR session provided in February, Peninsula are offering another free event 09:30-13:00 in Canterbury on 09 May 2019. To view session content and booking details please follow this link.
MidKent College training – free
Due to the availability of government funding, MidKent College is able to offer a range of short qualifications at no cost to applicants aged 19 or over who have lived in the EU for at least 3 years. A variety of fully-funded courses suitable for upskilling your employees – develop your team’s professional skills at no cost to your business.
Funded places are limited so please book early to secure your place. See details of courses and how to book
We also offer free safeguarding training under the Care Act training for all care providers.
There are also costed options for Safeguarding and Deprivation of Liberty training. See details of the course and find out how to book
Care Act 2014, Mental Capacity Act, and Adult Safeguarding learning opportunities
Please find below a link to our Kent.gov site where you will find details of e-learning and face to face training opportunities for your organisation to access.
In summary, we have the following:
The Care Act 2014:
- Introduction to the Care e-learning – Free access
- Further resources on the Care Act and its impact – Free access
Mental Capacity Act
- 3 e-learning Modules at Level A: £35 per person, per module
- Mental Capacity Act Level 1 – Statutory Principles e-learning module: £25 per person
- Mental Capacity Act Level 1a – Five Statutory Principles face to face course (half day): £50
- Mental Capacity Act Level 1b – Assessment of Mental Capacity face to face course (half day): £50
- Mental Capacity Act Level 2 – Supporting Decision Making Face to face course: £99 per person
- Mental Capacity Act Level 3 – Decision Making authority and best interests Face to face training: £99 per person
- Mental Capacity Act Level 4 – Restraint and Restriction face to face course (half day): £50 per person
- Mental Capacity Act Level 5 – DOLS face to face course: £99 per person
All of the above courses are bookable on line at the link below:
If you would like to book an in-house course for your organisation please contact Jen Neal at [email protected]
for an all-inclusive price.
STOMA Training Session – Provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation Trust (EKHUFT) Stoma Services
session is available to care workers, in-house trainers, managers and nurses from care homes and Homecare services. Personal Assistants also welcome.
Program for the session
- Introduction to Stoma Care team
- Questions from attendees
- What we do and don’t do!
- Introduction to stoma care (including different types of stomas and what to expect)
- Skin health
- Practical – looking at different products
- Revisit the questions from the beginning of the session
- How to contact and find the Stoma Care team
Please choose one of the following;
Please complete the application form and return to;
[email protected] – Please return with heading “Stoma Training”
|New Dates to be announced soon
Please note; Depending on the demand for places we may have to limit attendees from each organisation.
Chef’s qualification for workers within the Social Care Sector
New qualification available for Workforce Development Fund (WDF)
CTH (IOH) Level 2 Specialist Award for Chefs in Health and Social Care has now been added to our list of funded qualifications and learning programmes for the Workforce development Fund (WDF). Employers can claim £180 towards completion of this qualification.
The qualification aims to develop learner awareness of diet and appetite issues, with a focus on nutrition and hydration being important in menu planning to enhance the health and wellbeing of people receiving care and support. It will also focus on chefs in this environment being supported to ‘texture-modify’ food for individuals with dysphagia.
This qualification supports the new International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) framework which emerges in April 2019 to guide chefs on texture descriptors and testing methods.
Confederation of Tourism & Hospitality (CTH Awards) are seeking learning providers who are interested in delivering this qualification. For more information please contact CTH – [email protected], 020 7258 9850.
The CTH (IOH) Level 2 Specialist Award for Chefs in Health and Social Care (603/2227/5) has now been added to the list of funded qualifications for the Workforce Development Fund (WDF). Employers can claim £180 towards completion of this qualification.