Information for Care Homes
GP surgeries are now starting to use video consultations. Holding a video consultation is like a face-to-face appointment but means the GP does not have to visit your care home to give advice or write a prescription.
Most GP surgeries in Kent are using AccuRx. If the GP is using AccuRx for a video consultation they will send a meeting link to a smart mobile phone. Therefore, for this to work you will need the following:
• A smartphone, either with working Wi-Fi/3G/4G connection
• Your Internet Browser needs to have your phone’s microphone and camera enabled (you can see how to alter this in your phone settings here). You might also need to make sure you are using a supported browser.
Version 1.0 05/06/2020. This document will be updated on a regular basis.
• iPhones running older software that has not been updated (iOS 12 and earlier) will need to download the Whereby app to join the consultation)
A step by step guide on how AccuRx video consultations work.
You may want to consider putting a named person, or team, in charge of video consultations. Choose someone who is comfortable with the tech, as this will help everyone involved get the most out of the sessions.
Key Points to Remember
- Make sure that the device (smart phone or tablet when available) is kept free from infection risk as much as possible (please refer to your infection control guidance).
- Make sure that the resident consents to the consultation if they have capacity and that they are happy for the care home worker to be present / facilitate the consultation.
- Make sure that the video takes place in an appropriate place with as much confidentiality as possible – also quiet, calm and without interruptions.
- The care worker may act as the link, especially if the resident is hard of hearing or has difficulty understanding.
- If the care home has the facilities, then basic monitoring such as blood pressure / pulse / pulse oximeter / temperature may make the clinical decisions more accurate.
Tools & Guides
Further information tools and guides to support you in video consultations.